Thursday, June 16, 2011

Let Go

Letting go of someone is actually really easy. Practically anyone can write off someone else. It's a simple and swift move. But letting go of the idea of someone, well that's an entirely different beast. It's usually the lingering memory or the concept of the person that we so tightly hold onto. Rarely do we long for a person as a body, but more of the emotions and memories the person ignites in us. Letting go of an idea is hard.

When do you realize the moment you are ready? I mean, when do you finally see that this person no longer fits into your life, that the place that was once designated for them so specifically, is now void? How do you describe someone as what they were to you, rather than what they are? It's these kinds of things that bounce around in my head anytime I make a move in my love life. I could probably pinpoint the moment I start thinking these and the moment I actually put them into action. Every woman has a different tactic. Some use anger as motivation, some use distance, some use hopelessness, some use people. It changes with each situation.

My situation calls for a change. It's very simple actually; this is just not working anymore. The moment you realize that a situation can not work no matter what direction you take, then that when you find pick a move: out.

I'm not sure if I believe in fate, or if everything happens for a reason, or if we have the choice to change our actions. I just think that right now, I'm letting go of what isn't working, and that's all that I really can do: hold onto what is helping me. I know that at this point in my life, if I'm going to make a decision, I should stick to it...no matter how wonderful a memory I'm leaving behind. Holding onto the ghost of a person isn't ideal. And you can't capture a ghost. I'm slowly creeping into the waters of the unknown, leaving a comfortable concept, and cutting loose what I don't need. I might be a little shaky of what I'm doing, but I'll stick to it. If I can do that, I'll think I'll be fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment